Buy 'Hands' - my new recording with Dave Binney, Tom Rainey, and Chris Guilfoyle!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Metronome Lesson

This is pretty amazing to watch.

When the metronomes cannot connect to each other, they get out of synch. As soon as they can connect, or 'hear' each other they get in synch pretty much immediately. It's like a lesson in microcosm showing how musicians will always play together if they listen to each other, but can't if they're in their own world. I've noticed this phenomena sometimes when working with classical musicians. They'll be great players and can read anything, but when playing a piece together they sometimes just read their own part and don't try to hear where they are in relation to the ground pulse and in relation to where everybody else is. As a result they get out of sync pretty easily. Not all the time of course, but it's a phenomenon I've noticed before - reading the part in isolation and not relating it to everyone else's part. In symphony orchestras of course this is endemic - but that's a whole other story!

Enjoy............

3 comments:

  1. really interesting! I loved the blog! Already following it! Please, if you like, get to know my work! I'm a Brazilian singer! Best wishes from Brazil!

    Keila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa - how cool is that?! Totally using this video as my FaceBook status :D I'm your 90th follower!!

    I really like your blog - I'm trying to get mine off the ground and was wondering if you might come check it out (and maybe consider following?).

    http://www.guitartrump.blogspot.com/

    Hope you have an *amazing* day! :)

    Alex

    ReplyDelete