Buy 'Hands' - my new recording with Dave Binney, Tom Rainey, and Chris Guilfoyle!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Music Plague Continues!


Here in Toronto last night, I was a bit short of time so went into the nearest restaurant to eat. It was called 'Milestones' and it was one of these big cavernous affairs which was full of young-ish people - i was probably the oldest person there by about twenty years. Anyway, you couldn't call what this place had 'background music' since it was seriously foreground! They were pumping out dire House music at a volume that demanded any conversation be conducted in a bellow - which exacerbated the noise caused by a lot of people being a in a high-ceilinged room with hard surface walls. The word cacophony could have been invented to describe the noise in this place.

I was kind of stuck there because I didn't have time to go anywhere else, but why anyone would voluntarily go there to eat is beyond me. It's frightening to think that people have become so inured to noise that they even want to eat in a place where they have to shout to make themselves heard. I guess if they're not bellowing at each other they don't feel they've had a night out....... Scary stuff.

As to the food - well as could be expected in such a place, the culinary arts are not a priority (I think you could safely make it an axiom that the louder the music is in a restaurant is, the worse the food will be). The best that could be said for my 'Thai Red Chicken Curry', was that it didn't taste as bad as it smelled.


(See also The Music Plague)

No comments:

Post a Comment